Happy Friday!

Posted On 6:11 AM by Scott Costello |

The motivation has returned to me! Maybe it's because I've finally got my energy back from the cold I had or maybe it's because everyday that I come into work I hate it more and more. I used to like to program, to create applications but not so much any more. It's a grind that I want to get away from that is for sure.

Any how I figured out a few more waypoints (as steve cook puts it) to help keep me going in the right direction. It's amazing how listening to a speaker or a course or even just reading a quote can get you motivated again and re-point you in the right direction. I get motivated when I listen to Steve Cook's Secret Sauce seminar. If you have trouble staying motivated and on the right path, find that seminar, course, quote or even movie that gets you pumped and use it to your advantage!

CraigsList

I've also been trying to take the advice from you guys who have left me comments. Last night I went onto craigslist and sent out emails to anyone who is in the real estate business. I didn't really know what to say to them, but I came up with some short emails that either ask for leads they might come across (Management companies, Clean out companies, etc..) in exchange for referral fee or sent emails to Investors asking them if they are interested in my bird dog services. I figure it can't hurt and I could possibly make some contacts, who knows but if you don't open the door nothing will get through.

Calls

I have this annoying habit of freezing up when my cell phone rings with a number that is not in my address book. My first thought is..."Is this a person calling about my postcards?" and then I for some unknown and frustrating reason make up an excuse in my head that it's not a good time for me to talk so if they leave a message I will call them back.

This happen to me yesterday. I was driving home from work and my phone started to buzz (I always keep it on vibrate). By the time I looked at who was calling and froze for 5 seconds I missed the call! And no message. Now if I wasn't such a phone wuss I would have just called the number back and said something like..."Hi sorry I just missed your call, my name is Scott how may I help you?"

I want to punch myself in the brain every time that happens because most don't leave a message. I don't get many calls yet, so it's always a shock to see an unknown number on my phone. But seriously, I've got to get over this "Fear" of talking to potential sellers. I've just got to do it a few times and I'm sure that fear will subside some. I'm getting pissed at myself even just thinking about it.


Leads

Now that I've figured out Joomla I want to continue to establish a webpage for capturing leads. I was gonna set this aside but since I'll be doing alot of advertising on craigslist and such I want to have a webpage setup and a form to fill out for people who are interested. This may not be the best way to get leads but it fits into my budget so it will be done.


That's it for this week. Ingrid I sent out the course on wednesday and sent you an email with the "tracking number". Hope you enjoy it, i'll be reading your blog to see how you are progressing.
| edit post
6 Response to 'Happy Friday!'
  1. Shae
    https://sjcostello.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-friday.html?showComment=1235751120000#c6800863138366846109'> February 27, 2009 at 8:12 AM

    I totally understand what you mean about dealing with seller calls. What's cool though is that these people are calling YOU! It's not even like you're calling them and feeling like a salesman or something...they called you because they want/need your help! Keeping that in mind may help....it certainly helps me! Also it might not hurt to have a sellers script handy with you at all times so that you're prepared.

     

  2. Scott Costello
    https://sjcostello.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-friday.html?showComment=1235753580000#c8713774434719094789'> February 27, 2009 at 8:53 AM

    I script is a good idea to have on hand at all times. It is all a frame of mind i have to get myself into. I just have to figure out what can help me get into that. Might be a dedicated line or just thinking what you said..."they are calling you"

    Thanks Shae

     

  3. Jodi Quinn
    https://sjcostello.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-friday.html?showComment=1235829060000#c4007391968160354163'> February 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM

    I used to have the SAME fear. Really bad. What I did, I'd always let it go to vm, and call back after a few minutes. Somehow I felt like it was on my time, and my terms then, and so I was in control. After the call I realized they weren't anyone to be worried about. They're just nobody's. ;) They need your help.

    Now I am used to it and take the calls as they come. When you answer the call with a calm confidence, it sets to tone. I answer mine casually no matter who it is. Hi, this is Jodi... that's it.

    By the way, there was no bigger chicken than me. The first contract I signed, I almost threw up. :D

     

  4. Shae
    https://sjcostello.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-friday.html?showComment=1235881320000#c2854621899760358405'> February 28, 2009 at 8:22 PM

    Ok Jodi, that was funny :-)

     

  5. Steph
    https://sjcostello.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-friday.html?showComment=1235940780000#c6363816296828403478'> March 1, 2009 at 12:53 PM

    I did the same thing with calls when I was getting started.

    I would spend all this time and money on advertising, and then I would be afraid to answer the phone. It was the worst..

    Keep in mind that we've all been there. Most people never get past this fear. You just have to force yourself to take the calls no matter how scared you are. I promise you it gets a lot easier once you do it a few times, and it is a fantastic feeling to conquer your fear.

    Steph

     

  6. Scott Costello
    https://sjcostello.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-friday.html?showComment=1236004980000#c1309858304088230953'> March 2, 2009 at 6:43 AM

    Thanks for the words of support guys, I have no doubt I will conquer this fear. I wish the phone would ring more so I could conquer it more quickly though...haha

    Nice pics from your vacation Steph, I'm a bit jealous since it just snowed 6 inches here and we are expecting more today. ugh!