Why don't I beleive?

Posted On 10:31 AM by Scott Costello |

Yesterday I got a chance to actually go to an REIA meeting. It was the first one I've been to all summer, and I'm not exactly sure why. It was good, but it reminded me that the reason why you should go is not for the pitch fests but to network with the other investors. From my experience there aren't a lot of successful investors at these meetings, mostly people just starting out. The real investors usually show up at the subgroup meetings, which have been on hiatus all summer because they are relocating there offices.


The first presentation was this young guy who was trying to pitch his seminar. It was an hour long and he could not have been more generic with his information and all his stupid catch phrases...oyie!!! "POWER THINKING"....give me a break! I seriously hope nobody bought into his shpeal. He was asking $900 (for two people to attend), but that was discounted from the 3000 bucks he normally offers it for. Anyhow, I shouldn't complain to much as at least he is trying.

The other "presentation" was from Realsource, which sounded good but brings me to the main point of this post...


When did I start thinking everyone who is trying to pitch me a product is trying to scam me?


...I mean, if they are selling something, I think they are trying to scam me. I never use to be like this, but now I can't help myself. The first thing that pops into my head is, "What's the catch?" Is this normal, or have I been reading about to many GURU programs or foreclosure scams that take advantage of people?

Who knows, but I guess it's because I've read so much on the great forums I visit and Steve Cooks course that I know most of what these guys are going to teach. Maybe my head is just to big! possible
| edit post
2 Response to 'Why don't I beleive?'
  1. Anonymous
    http://sjcostello.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-dont-i-beleive.html?showComment=1222378680000#c5236075215236069248'> September 25, 2008 at 2:38 PM

    You have every right to feel as if you're being scammed considering what is happening and what has happened over the past few years to our nation's economy. That said, as the RealSource presenter, I want to add that we were not trying to "sell" anything. We were there to talk about "Location Investing" and the resiliency of multifamily in any market cycle, and how RealSource has a proven process founded on Research, Relationships and Deals that helps all parties in a real estate transaction generate wealth. That's it. No hard sell. In fact, two in your group called us back and have since joined RealSource and more of your peers indicated a desire to do so in the coming days -- after conducting due diligence on us. Again, bottom line, we thank you for spending your time (hence your money) with us and wish you the best in your real estate investing endeavors.

     

  2. Scott Costello
    http://sjcostello.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-dont-i-beleive.html?showComment=1222433820000#c6605486688348098722'> September 26, 2008 at 5:57 AM

    Hey Peter, it's pretty cool that you actually found my blog post and commented. I guess the intent of my post was not all that clear. I did find your presentation very interesting and possibly a very valuable resource. I planned on doing my due diligence just to get an idea of your complete services, costs and to find some real user reviews. I wasn't really tring to put a bad image on your service, more of how my brain automatically thinks "Scam" when someone is trying to sell me something.

    Even though you weren't selling us a product, you were "selling" us on your services. There is no doubt that having a team of market analyzers is a valuable resource though. My biggest concern with RealSource is your commitment to us once we sign up. You said that an advisor is on call 24/7, but what does that mean? Tech Support for cable vision is 24 hours, but I'll be on hold for 45 minutes or if I leave a message they don't call me back. And I pay them almost 2000(150/mo) a year for service. Not exactly the same thing but you see my concern. I just don't like the idea of investing in areas I can't drive to, where my main source of information is coming from a service. Not a problem with you, just my personal feeling about investing.

    Thanks again for commenting Peter. RealSource actually took a step up in my book because of it.