Small Local Banks

Posted On 12:21 PM by Scott Costello |

Over at Flipping Homes they pretty much preach that if you want to get lending these days it's best to go with a small local bank, those community banks that you've never heard of. Well now is the time to start learning where they are. The reason is that they....


  1. Keep there loans in house, which means they don't have to follow the big boys guide lines when it comes to lending.
  2. They are more flexible because of keeping the loans in house.
  3. They are more likely to give you a loan based on a good relationship and quality of the deal, then strictly your debt to income ratio (don't hold me to that one though)


I did a little hunting last night and came up with about a dozen local banks, at least I think they are local because I haven't heard of them before. Over the next two weekends i'm going to try and walk into a few and talk to them about what programs they have for investors. I'm going to follow Steve Cook's advice on this audio clip...

Dealing with Small Local Banks



Follow up on my last post about Realtor's...

I've been trading emails with the realtor I met last weekend and I'm going to try and give him a call this weekend in between all my cousin's wedding activities (Rehearsal dinner tonight, ceremony and reception tomorrow and then brunch on sunday morning). Jay, the Realtor, seems like a nice guy and open to helping me out so hopefully he's a good investors' realtor


have a good weekend!!
| edit post
1 Response to 'Small Local Banks'
  1. Anonymous
    http://sjcostello.blogspot.com/2008/10/small-local-banks.html?showComment=1224692160000#c7013257386144862059'> October 22, 2008 at 9:16 AM

    I listened to that FH audio about Local Banks, and went out to several in my area. They all used at one point or another, that I need to have some "skin in the game", i.e., put down a nice downpayment, or put a lien on another property that I would have significant equity in. I did find one that had a great program, that I would work with in a heartbeat, but wanted 15% down to close...
    I guess I was too optimistic to think that they would just write me a check to finance a rehab...

    I live closeby to Sam from FlippingOhio.blogspot, and he is using hard money for his deals...

    Don
    rookierei at gmail dot com